Sunday 6 January 2008

The Process

I've not done anything like this just for my own pleasure since I was a kid, when I used to (have more time!) make up imaginary worlds and stories, draw up forces and fight battles, and write the histories of the characters and cultures. OK, so I have since roleplayed; but that was with others and for others (I was GM 99.99% of the time). OK, so this is a public blog interacting with others through EvE; but that's just icing on the cake - I'm doing this because it looks like a lot of fun!

The bottom line is - I don't really know what I am doing, and I am having a great time working it all out! The best part? I don't have anything yet. I don't have anything except this blog and the inspiration of all the other blogging folk who have made what they are doing look so interesting and such fun that I simply had to do it too.

I don't have anywhere to set up a game yet. I live with my partner and two dogs in a tiny cramped cottage, with nowhere to set up a wargame. I marvel at the photos I see of (mainly online) friends who have massive amounts of space, even whole rooms dedicated to their hobby. This is quite a big deal, but I have found a way to deal with it, at least for the moment, because.....

I don't have any miniatures yet, and I don't have any terrain or scenery. So naturally I can have fun doing all sorts of virtual and on-paper planning and design until I do acquire some.

I don't really know what rules to use yet. I have seen plenty of titles mentioned, so I will have to try a few and see. I can always make up my own.

So at this point I am so excited as everything is bursting with potential. What am I doing about it? Well...

I'm building a games workshop. More like a glorified shed actually. My partner and I joke about it and call it 'the studio'. The shed won't get started on just yet though, as it has to wait until after...

I'm building an extension to the cottage. A couple more rooms and crucially, a hallway where one side will be lined with bookshelves. Huzzah!

I'm scouting for miniatures within my budget, and terrain that I can build. I don't have much money and I need to get a pair of flexible armies together, plus paints, brushes etc. I'm sure I will buy some terrain, trees, scale houses etc. eventually, but for now I think I'll make my own. I saw a great 6' by 4' European Fields playmat by Eric Hotz, but maybe I'll try and make one of those too.

I have some rules on order. My main criteria were fun and ease of use for a novice like me, so I looked around at lots of rules before plumping for BAR (Batailles de l'Ancien Regime) by Bill Protz at Old Regime Rules. From what I have read, these rules will suit me straight away and they will grow with me as I get more experience. When they arrive I'll comment here regarding how well they suit my purposes.

So that's my current situation report. I'm off now to have a cup of tea, read a few entertaining blogs (and by gosh there are many!), and see if I can work out what miniatures I want and can afford!

8 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Hello!

Welcome to E vs. E. You've made the RIGHT choice embarking on imaginary 18th century armies. Good man.

For figures, might I suggest the RSM95's produced by the Dayton Painting Consortium here in the USA? They are well proportioned and stately in their bearing. Plus, they are one of the more reasonable ranges going these days. If you are in the UK, the old Spencer Smith range (now made in metal) is equally reasonable. I have some of each, and while they are very different in style, they do the trick for 30mm figures. There are other figure ranges out there, but they can get a bit pricy.

Looking forward to ready more about Kitschberg and its environs. Have fun!

Best Regards,

Stokes Schwartz

Snickering Corpses said...

I to look forward to hearing more about Kitschberg and its environs. And while there are several of them with lots of room, don't think we all have such cavernous spaces. My only games this past year were played on a ~3x5 foot sheet of plywood layed on top of my bed. Thus making it necessary to finish each game before time to sleep in said bed. ;)

Paul Williams said...

I've just been looking at the Spencer Smith website, and they look great! Thanks for that tip.

The 3' x 5' plywood sheet could yet feature in our home 'office' (partner works from home so space is all claimed) but time constraints mean it's easier to play in 30-60 minute chunks over several days than all in one sitting. I like your dedication though :-)

abdul666 said...

Everything has to start somewhere!

You can design your country, its history and current political situation, decipher the Court gossip to disclose plots, 'characterize' noteworthy infividuals...

and of course design your own uniforms and share them with us...

while the minis are still to be ordered, not to say painted!

Have fun -all the rest will naturally follow.

Best regards,
Jean-Louis

Ike said...

Welcome to the multiple-Europas of the Imagi-Nations! I am myself a newcomer and have enjoyed it tremendously.

Bluebear Jeff said...

William,

First off and by far the most important thing I have to say is . . .

There are LOTS of "right answers".

As long as you are having fun, you are doing it correctly.

I love the RSM 25mm figures . . . but if you are limited in space and budget, by all means explore playing with 15mm, 10mm or 6mm troops.

Yes, they aren't as visible for admiring their uniforms, but they are still viable. Also, keep plastic figures in mind -- they can be economical as well.

The main thing to keep in mind is that whatever you decide to do is RIGHT.

As for rules, if the BAR rules aren't your cup of tea, go ahead and write your own . . . while somewhat frustrating, it can be very rewarding as well.

I've written my own rules . . . and, while they may not be "better" than any other set of rules, they model what I want to model better than those other rules.

So, decide what you want to have modeled in the rules you will use . . . and if other rules don't do it for you, write your own.

This is a great hobby . . . and it doesn't have to be overly fancy. The old technique of putting books on a table top, then covering them with a cloth makes quite acceptable hills. Quite serviceable buildings can be constructed with the cardstock from cereal boxes, etc.

Just remember that if it gives you enjoyment, you're doing it right.


-- Jeff

old-tidders said...

Hi,

Welcome to to the Imagi-Nations of Europa from Wittenberg.

I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

-- Allan

MurdocK said...

Sometimes simple is a good place to start.

There are tons of online rules sets and ideas to explore.

For a start on a non-existant budged you can use things like Paper Soldiers.

Another option could be wooden blocks (marked appropriately) to 'simulate' your troops moving about.

I have used all sorts of things in the building process before getting into scale and era choices.

Great that you are in the really 'fun' stage and are getting a CHARGE! out of it. This sort of energy is what is needed to carry through the rought spots.

My only recommendation is to poke around some rules sets, and eras before settling on any sort of minis scale, let alone worrying about manufacture.

Keep at the writing, I shall read with interest!